The latest video from one of my favorite bands of 2009, Band of Skulls. If you have the chance to see them live, do so.
The OCMD Best of 2009 Questionnaire
- Best Album: Band Of Skulls – Baby Darling Doll Face Honey
- Most Overlooked Album: Portugal. The Man – The Satanic Satanists
- Best Song: “Lock & Key” Lilofee
- Best Live Show: The Rumble: Los Angeles in March – Fitz & The Tantrums, Avi Buffalo & Here Here
- Band/Artist I am most happy to have discovered: Apes of Wrath
- Band/Artist I kick myself for missing: Van Morrison doing Astral Weeks at the Hollywood Bowl
- Band/Artist everyone seems to love but I just can’t get behind: The Vivian Girls
- Favorite SF Band:Lilofee
- One to Watch in 2010: Man/Miracle
Third time is a charm so they say. And the Band of Skulls show last week at Bimbos was definitely that. They’ve been hitting the States hard promoting their debut album, Baby Darling DollFace Honey, and it is one of my favorite albums of 2009. This was the third performance I caught of theirs this year. It’s been fun to see them climb the venue ladder of success. First Harlot, then Cafe du Nord. Now Bimbos. What’s next? We’ll wait and see.
Whew, I’ve been wanting to get this post up for about 3 weeks now, but you know how it goes – life prevails and hobbies sometimes take a back seat. Well, here it is. My mid-year Best Albums of 2009…so far. Out of all the music I’ve sorted through thus far this year, these are the albums that bubbled to the top, the ones I happily came back to again and again. They may not all be Pitchfork approved (or even rated for that matter), but they worked for me.
I’m not going to go through the diligence of ranking them, so I’ve listed them in alphabetical order. I’ll save the ranking exercise for the end of year round up. Until then, I hope you find some new music to enjoy!
Band of Skulls
Baby Darlin Doll Face Honey
“Death by Diamonds and Pearls”
Cymbals Eat Guitars
Why There Are Mountains
“And The Hazy Sea”
Keep It Hid
“If I Had A Heart”
Person to Person
Vacilando Territory Blues
Leopold and His Fiction
Ain’t No Surprise
You Can Have What You Want
Some Sweet Relief
“I Feel Eternal”
Shadows on a River
Shadows on a River
San Francisco’s Girls are paired up this week with New York’s Pains of Being Pure at Heart tonight for a great night of music at The Rickshaw Stop. Bonus prize, Girls are offering up their 10″ for free download. Get ’em.
Then this Sunday, July 26 features a repeat performance of one of my favorite bands this year, Band of Skulls. The hot UK trio will be rockin’ it at Cafe du Nord. Be there.