Artist: The Morning Benders Album: Talking Through Tin Cans File Under: Indie Pop Recommended if You Like: The Shins, The Kooks, Brian Wilson Featured Track: Boarded Doors
The Bay Area’s very own indie pop rockers have released their debut album, ‘Talking Through Tin Cans’, and…I’m liking it! I had to sit with it for a while because…nah, I couldn’t like a pop band, could I? But there’s something about the groups’ sunny California sound – catchy hooks and melodies, jangly guitars – along with their collegiate youthfulness that makes this an irresistible summer album. That and I may be a bit nostalgic to the fact that they happen to be my little boy’s first official concert.
To add to my momentary love affair, they’ve just compiled an album of covers called, ‘The Bedroom Covers’, that they are releasing for free download. The EP features 11 tracks from artists such as Velvet Underground, The Smiths, Fleetwood Mac and more. Here’s a good sample from the Talking Heads:
Lately, I’ve been obsessed with cover songs. And nostalgic for the mixtape. I miss the mixtape, frankly, and wish it would come back. Mix CDs are great and all, but the ‘drag and drop’ medium doesn’t require the same amount of effort, thoughtfulness and dedication as making a mixtape did. It’s one thing to find the right songs and arrange them…but to actually time the songs so you didn’t run out of tape? That’s an art form.
And in that sense, they seemed more meaningful too. I just can’t recall anyone today being particularly impressed by a mix CD they were given. But remember when someone gave you a mixtape in the day? That was…WOW.
It’s been far too long since I’ve made or have been given a mixtape. But I’m changing that today with my first mixtape to you (albeit digital) – a collection of my favorite indie cover songs. There will be more to come. So if you like this and want more, you’ll have to subscribe to my Mixtape Podcast to receive them.
the OCMD – Best Covers Mixtape
1. Cryptacize – Peg (Steely Dan cover)
2. Johnathon Wilson – La Isla Bonita (Madonna cover)
3. Midnight Movies – Mes Reves de Satin (Moody Blues cover)
4. Japancakes – Only Shallow (MBV cover)
5. Sonic Youth – Superstar (Carpenters cover)
6. Grizzly Bear – Owner of a Lonely Hearts (Yes cover)
7. We are Scientists – Hoppipolla (Sigur Ros cover)
8. Jose Gonzalez – Teardrop (Massive Attack cover)
9. Marissa Nadler – No Surprises (Radiohead cover)
10. St. Vincent – These Days (Jackson Browne cover)
11. Cat Power – Ramblin’ (Wo)man (Hank Williams cover)
12. Vampire Weekend – Exit Music (for a Film) (Radiohead cover)
13. Sons and Daughters – Killer (Adamski cover)
14. The Cloud Room – Blue Monday (New Order cover)
15. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin – Another Satellite (XTC cover)
16. The Paper Scissors – I can’t Go for That (Hall & Oates cover)