Artist: The Sea and Cake Album:Car Alarm File Under: Indie Rock Recommended if You Like: Stereolab, American Analog Set, Japancakes, Sparklehorse Featured Track: Aerial, On A Letter
On A Letter:
This Chicago quartet has been around for quite a while and there’s a comfort in the familiarity and consistency of their music. Their latest release, Car Alarm, is no exception. And from the buzz out there in the blogosphere, this is their best album in over a decade. I’ve been listening to their electronic grooves a lot this week. Mellow yet powerful at the same time, they are firmly rooted in Indie rock with a splash of that electronica sound I like so much. It’s smooth, well balanced, easy on the ears and layered with just enough complexity to keep it interesting listen after listen. Like a fine wine.
Lately, I’ve been obsessed with cover songs. And nostalgic for the mixtape. I miss the mixtape, frankly, and wish it would come back. Mix CDs are great and all, but the ‘drag and drop’ medium doesn’t require the same amount of effort, thoughtfulness and dedication as making a mixtape did. It’s one thing to find the right songs and arrange them…but to actually time the songs so you didn’t run out of tape? That’s an art form.
And in that sense, they seemed more meaningful too. I just can’t recall anyone today being particularly impressed by a mix CD they were given. But remember when someone gave you a mixtape in the day? That was…WOW.
It’s been far too long since I’ve made or have been given a mixtape. But I’m changing that today with my first mixtape to you (albeit digital) – a collection of my favorite indie cover songs. There will be more to come. So if you like this and want more, you’ll have to subscribe to my Mixtape Podcast to receive them.
the OCMD – Best Covers Mixtape
1. Cryptacize – Peg (Steely Dan cover)
2. Johnathon Wilson – La Isla Bonita (Madonna cover)
3. Midnight Movies – Mes Reves de Satin (Moody Blues cover)
4. Japancakes – Only Shallow (MBV cover)
5. Sonic Youth – Superstar (Carpenters cover)
6. Grizzly Bear – Owner of a Lonely Hearts (Yes cover)
7. We are Scientists – Hoppipolla (Sigur Ros cover)
8. Jose Gonzalez – Teardrop (Massive Attack cover)
9. Marissa Nadler – No Surprises (Radiohead cover)
10. St. Vincent – These Days (Jackson Browne cover)
11. Cat Power – Ramblin’ (Wo)man (Hank Williams cover)
12. Vampire Weekend – Exit Music (for a Film) (Radiohead cover)
13. Sons and Daughters – Killer (Adamski cover)
14. The Cloud Room – Blue Monday (New Order cover)
15. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin – Another Satellite (XTC cover)
16. The Paper Scissors – I can’t Go for That (Hall & Oates cover)