The OCMD Best of 2009 Questionnaire
- Best Album: Dark was the Night compilation – tough to beat out this much fire power
- Most Overlooked Album: Patrick Watson – Wooden Arms – I just can’t stop listening to this album.
- Best Song: Yikes. This one’s to close to call. Last.fm tells me I’ve listened to “So Far Around the Bend” by The National the most this year, so I guess that’s as good an indicator as any. Elvis Perkins’ “Shampoo”, Phoenix’s “1901” and “What I Mean To You” by Justin Townes Earle are all right up there.
- Best Live Show: Josh Ritter’s NoisePop gig at Great American Music Hall last February just edged out J. Tillman’s surprisingly epic show at Cafe du Nord. Both shows outmatched a lot of the bigger ticket shows I caught this year.
- Band/Artist I am most happy to have discovered: Patrick Watson
- Band/Artist I kick myself for missing: St. Vincent
- Band/Artist everyone seems to love but I just can’t get behind: Animal Collective
- Favorite SF Band: Maus Haus. You’d probably get a different answer tomorrow, but that’s my pick today.
- One to Watch in 2010: Girls / Maus Haus