Round of applause to The Bay Bridged and Tiny Telephone for an impeccable line up of great indie music in a seriously obscure, locals only, locale. Not a band on her I DON’T want to see. Hat tip to you both. Be there!
Artist: Digital Leather
Album: Yes, Please. Thank You.
Release Date: July 25, 2012
Featured Track: “Mountains Are Dreaming”
This is the next album I’m going to indoctrinate on my little boy just so I can hear him say the album title. A voluntary please and thank you now and then would be mighty nice. Plus I simply love these guys and their fuzzed out garage rock vibe. Fun fact: so did the late Jay Reatard. So much so that he became the band’s manager. Fast on the heels of their February 2012 release of ‘Modern Problems‘, ‘Yes, Please. Thank You’ is due out July 25. Mind your manners.
Hails From: So Cal
Proof that there really is more music in this world than one human can discover, check out this band landed in my SoundCloud inbox this week. You Me & Us is a So Cal two piece that have been kicking around for about a year and yet I’m just hearing them for the first time. While this album was released last year, I love their sound and look forward to hearing more.
Ty Segall is a new man, and there’s no turning back. He’s evolving and so is his music..and style. I got a glimpse of that earlier this year when he kicked off his tour with White Fence looking sharp in a vintage white suit. Gone are his “knuckle dragging” days of youth, said the press release today that announced his impending new album called Twins due out October 9 on Drag City. “It’s like the 2001: A Space Odyssey-monolith came to visit him (on the set) one bright morning. And now he’s jetting toward Jupiter, brooding, looking at man with x-ray eyes…” Whoa. I’m not sure what to make of that preview but by all means, Ty, wear whatever you want. Just keep melting my face of with your awesome music. You make the sun fry.
TY SEGALL TOUR DATES
- Sat. July 14 – Chicago, IL @ Empty Bottle [SOLD OUT]
- Sun. July 15 – Chicago, IL @ Pitchfork Music Festival (3:20, Red Stage)
- Mon. July 23 – Bordeaux, Fr @ Festival Relâche
- Wed. July 25 – Bologna, IT @ Bolognetti Courtyard
- Thu. July 26 – Ancona, IT @ Lazzaretto
- Fri. July 27 – Venice, IT @ Pop Corn Club
- Sat. July 28 – Savignano sul Rubicone Forli – Cesena, IT @ Sidro Club
- Sun. July 29 – Helsinki, FI @ Kuudes Aisti Festival
- Mon. July 30 – Manchester, UK @ The Castle Hotel
- Tue. July 31 – Leeds, UK @ Brudenell Social Club
- Wed. Aug. 1 – Brighton, UK @ The Green Door Store
- Thu. Aug. 2 – London, UK @ The Dome
- Fri. Aug. 3 – Binic, FR @ Binic Folks Blues Festival 2012
- Sat. Aug. 4 – Haarlem, NL @ Garage Festival
- Sun. Aug. 5 – Katowice, PO @ Off Festival 2012
- Mon. Aug. 6 – Berlin, DE @ Festsaal Kreuzberg
- Tue. Aug. 7 – Copenhagen, DK @ KB18
- Wed. Aug. 8 – Norway, Oslo @ The Crossroads Club – Øya Festival
- Thu. Aug. 9 – Antwerp, BE @ Trix
- Mon. Sep. 3 – Seattle, WA @ Bumbershoot Festival
- Tue. Sep. 11 – Las Vegas, NV @ Neon Reverb Festival w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Thu. Sep. 13 – Denver, CO @ Gothic Theater w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Fri. Sep. 14 – Oklahoma City, OK @ ACM at UCO w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Sat. Sep. 15 – Austin, TX @ La Zona Rosa w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Tue. Sep. 18 – Atlanta, GA @ Goat Farm w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Wed. Sep. 19 – Birmingham, AL @ The Bottletree Café w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Thu. Sep. 20 – Nashville, TN @ Zombie Shop w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Fri. Sep. 21 – Richmond, VA @ Strange Matter w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Sat. Sep. 22 – Brooklyn, NY @ The Well w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Tue. Sep. 25 – Buffalo, NY @ Town Ballroom w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Wed. Sep. 26 – Toronto, ON @ The Hoxton w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Sat. Sep. 29 – Madison, WI @ High Noon Saloon w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Sun. Sep. 30 – St. Paul, MN @ Turf Club w/ Thee Oh Sees
- Sun. Oct. 14 – San Francisco, CA @ Treasure Island Festival
Artist: Fletcher C Johnson
Release Date: July 13, 2012
Hails From: Brooklyn
Featured Track: “Send Me Your Love”
Salutations cassette release out via Burger Records on July 13!
Artist: High Pines
Album: We Are Humans EP
Release Date: June 27, 2012
Hails From: Brooklyn, NY
Featured Track: “I Haven’t Seen It All”
How nice of George Lewis Jr. – aka Twin Shadow – to load up all of his remixes into this handy dandy SoundCloud set for us all to enjoy. While none of these are necessarily new tracks, I’ve been enjoying the collective reprise of these classics from Surfer Blood, Lemonade, Bear in Heaven and more. Kinda like a walk down indie music lane, circa 2010.
Artist: Jack Ladder & The Dreamlanders
Release Date: July 17
Hails From: Australia
Featured Track: “Cold Feet”
Stunning. Love at first listen. As the bio so aptly stated: “The DM edit of “Cold Feet” was inspired by the slow-motion house music played at heyday London come-down parties where guests might ingest acid-laced apricots and sway lazily to the music, (PVT‘s Dave) Miller channels greats like Omar S. and Theo Parrish to produce an impactful reworking with a retro and hallucinogenic feel.”
Well done. The original version ain’t so bad either. Scheduled for release in North America on July 17 it’s sure to be on heavy rotation in my household.
Artist: Deep Time
Album: Deep Time
Release Date: July 10, 2012
Hails From: Austin, TX
Like a breath of fresh air, this Austin duo – comprised of Jennifer Moore on organ, electric guitar and vocal microphone, and Adam Jones on drums- will knock your jaded socks off. Formerly known as Yellow Fever, the first time I laid ears on them it reminded me of a more pop version of She Keeps Bees, with hints of Tune-Yards eclecticism. I’m hooked. The eponymous album is out on Hardly Art Records July 10.
Album: The Lost Tapes
Hails From: Germany
Release Date: June 19, 2012
Featured Track: “A Swan is Born”
Often dubbed the fathers of krautrock, CAN is a 70’s era experimental rock group that has influenced countless bands – Joy Division, Talking Heads, Bowie, Pavement, The Stone Roses. Radiohead and The Jesus and Mary Chain have covered them. Kayne West has sampled them and the indie rock group, Spoon, named themselves after the Can hit of the same name.
Set to release today in the US, The Lost Tapes is a 3 CD set of unreleased tracks covering a period from 1968 to 1977 that was compiled by bandmates Irmin Schmidt and Daniel Miller and sounds as fresh and relevant today as it did then. Classic.Follow @indierockgirl