San Francisco synth rockers, Maus Haus, are poised to break out. They’re already climbing the charts at CMJ and now they’re set to kick off this year’s Noise Pop festival at The Mezzanine with the likes of My First Earthquake, !!! and Sugar & Gold. The band will be unleashing their new 7 inch the same night (that sounds kind of perverted, doesn’t it?) featuring the tracks “Winter” and “Zig Zag”. Consider yourself informed.
The OCMD Best of 2009 Questionnaire
- Best Album: Dark was the Night compilation – tough to beat out this much fire power
- Most Overlooked Album: Patrick Watson – Wooden Arms – I just can’t stop listening to this album.
- Best Song: Yikes. This one’s to close to call. Last.fm tells me I’ve listened to “So Far Around the Bend” by The National the most this year, so I guess that’s as good an indicator as any.
- Best Live Show: Josh Ritter’s NoisePop gig at Great American Music Hall last February just edged out J. Tillman’s surprisingly epic show at Cafe du Nord. Both shows outmatched a lot of the bigger ticket shows I caught this year.
- Band/Artist I am most happy to have discovered: Patrick Watson
- Band/Artist I kick myself for missing: St. Vincent
- Band/Artist everyone seems to love but I just can’t get behind: Animal Collective
- Favorite SF Band: Maus Haus. You’d probably get a different answer tomorrow, but that’s my pick today.
- One to Watch in 2010: Girls / Maus Haus